The Capel Show is the result of the co-operation of two organisations in the village:
- The Capel Horticultural Society
- The Capel Car Show (aka the Friends of St John the Baptist Church)
In the past the two shows (Horticultural Society Summer Show and Car Show) were held separately but since 2007 the shows have been combined on the Saturday. Year on year the event has grown and in 2018 we welcomed approx 5600 people into the grounds.
The Capel Show now has its own small committee with the brief to organise the common elements of the two shows (Insurance, Signage, H&S etc).
The Show aims to provide a platform for fund raising for all kinds of local organisations.
- First and foremost the Capel Classic Car & Bike Show – raising money for the Friends of St John the Baptist who support upkeep of the church buildings)
- The Guides – raising money for their activities by selling teas, cakes and bacon butties
- The Cricket Club – raising money for a new pavilion by organising the public car parking as well as the bar
- Money has also been raised by selling burgers and sausages for good causes such as the Capel Youth Club, Royal Marsden Hospital (cancer care)
- Of course expense need to be paid too so entrance fees go towards paying for the marquee hire, loo hire, First Aid people, insurance, barriers etc.
Last year (2018) a grand total of money was raised of around £27500 for a mix of good causes. Most of this money will benefit village life in Capel directly. Thus consider your money well spent.